Tuesday, April 3, 2012

General Conference

This seems to be a difficult time for anyone to focus and pay attention for so long, especially children, but alas, I must include myself in that category.  I love to hear what our Prophet and Apostles have to say, but I really struggle sitting down and being able to pay attention. I have done much better about being able to watch the Sunday sessions, now I need to include the Saturday sessions.  I know it is important for us to hear these words and I really do have the desire, but it is still oh so hard.
So I can only imagine if it is so difficult for me, how is it for the kids.  They do get the little packets from Church and that helps, but I decided to try and start a new tradition.  It is not fool proof and there is still moments of lack of attention, but I'll tell you what, it is a big improvement and some of them, especially Jairyn, even look forward to it.


A lot of people have a Super Bowl Party for Football for that last final big game.  We are not big sport watchers so we don't have one.  Instead I thought, "what if we had our 'Super Bowl Party' on General Conference weekends".  I try to get favorite foods of the kids, usually Chips/Dip, soda, veggie snacks, fruit and then we BBQ meat and potato skins and a few other things, then we just kind of have an all day buffet and let the kids help themselves.  It is still tricky because they want to talk while eating, but I try to remind them that if we want to be able to do this that they have to listen while eating.  It's not perfect, but much more enjoyable than it was.


Then I had a friend that had an idea where she would take her kids on a roadtrip and listen to conference in the car while driving.  Another AWESOME idea, at the end of the road trip, about 2 hrs (1 session of conference) they would do something fun as a family, this last time they went to a wildlife preserve, and then they would drive home during the 2nd session and would listen again.  I would like to try and incorporate this for our Saturday sessions, I just need to figure out how to get the kids to listen while in the car instead of laughing, playing and talking.  But it will be worth a try at least once, maybe twice. :o)

This is Salsa and 7-up bicuits I made from recipes off of Pinterest.  They are very good.  The salsa was a bit spciy/hot, but still good.  I will definitely make it again, just gotta figure out how to tone it down, lol











I found this little frog when I was adding soil to one of my house plants. I am thinking he was already in the plant, hmmm....scary thought, but he is cute. We let him go outside.

1 comment:

SHILLIG4FAMILY said...

Great fun conference ideas!!!