Friday, October 12, 2012

Pinterest Again ~ some major winners this time ;o)

Thought I would record my thoughts of the latest pinterest ideas I have taken on...There are a few that I didn't get picture for, but I will still post about them :o)  I also did General Conference boards, but I gave that it's own post.  Hope this might help someone, or just remind me for the future :o)

I went on a big Freezer meal kick....before school started I was determined to have a month or two of meals, a menu and I was just gonna be the most organized person in the world!!!!  Yeah right!!!  

My mom was here and she helped me do 3 different freezer meal recipes, one of them was our family stew that we just usually throw together and I wanted to try it as a stew, it was good...but I have learned that I failed in potato freezing.  My potatoes turn black and because I didn't want the meal to go to waste, as it thawed I would have to pick out all of the potatoes and then add fresh ones.  I have since done some research, but have not yet tested it, that perhaps blanching the potatoes first would keep them from turning color.  I was so disappointed and frustrated with that and the teriyaki chicken meal that I lost my "freezer meal" drive.  I hope to get it back and give it another go.

teriyaki chicken freezer meal ~ I am not sure I did this one right, in the picture on the blog I do not see any dark teriyaki sauce in the bag so maybe I didn't use the right kind of Teriyaki sauce?  I had HIGH hopes on this recipe...I know I must've done something wrong, but I am not sure what...the taste was way too strong.

BBQ Chicken freezer meal ~ I was skeptical about this one especially because I didn't see any BBQ sauce in the recipe (yes I am that naieve when it comes to cooking :o)...but surprise, surprise...I will make this one again, it really was good.

Pepperoni roll ups ~ of course this was a hit with the kids...it is fun but when you have a family of 9 and need to buy the crescent rolls, pepperoni and cheese sticks it is not cost effective, it will be fun for an appetizer on special days.

Basil Asparagus Chicken Penne ~ I can't give an acurate account of this because I DIDN'T GET ANY!!!  I had a meeting to go to and the kids ate almost all of it and when my husband came home, he finished it off...with my picky family I am going to assume this was a hit and I will make it again.  I didn't have any asparagus so I used broccoli but my family actually likes asparagus so next time I will plan for that.  It must be good.

chili's copycat salsa ~ I had done the 5min salsa before and it is not bad, I can handle it...then I made some this the other day and all I can say is.....OMGoodness....I have found a new favorite!!!  YUMMY!



twice baked potato rounds ~ Jairyn is my potato boy and this got several thumbs up from him, I think I baked them a little too long, but that was my error, not the recipe.

roasted/grilled cabbage ~ I have never really understood cabbage and how to cook it, I knew it was used in Asian dishes but I am pretty basic so I never ventured out...this recipe just seemed delicious to me and I was in the experimenting mood.  I wasn't disappointed, this was actually really good and I personally added Apple Cider Vinegar, I will make this again.

banana bread ~ I had this recipe for a while and finally decided to make it, I was sure my kids wouldn't eat it because they are pretty picky...but surprise, they all love it. I have made it 4-5 times now and I double it each time.

My mom sent me this recipe and told me to try it, not sure where she got it.
Chickadilla Soup
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs (I used 4 thighs)
2 14.5oz cans, diced tomatoes (I had two 14 1/2 oz cans)
10 oz. mild enchilada sauce  (I had a 20oz, can so I froze the other half)
4 oz chopped mild green chilies
1 14oz can chicken broth
2 15 oz cans of black or pinto beans, drained and rinsed (I used 1 of each)
1 15oz can corn, drained
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 tbs. chopped fresh cilantro
1 tsp. cumin, chili powder and salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
 
Place all ingredients into a 6 qt slow cooker. Mix, Cook on Low for 6-8 hrs or on High for 3-5 hours.
 
After a few hrs, once chicken is thoroughly cooked, remove from pot, shred and return to pot for remaining cooking time. (My chicken wasn't ready to shred until right before eating time, didn't make a difference in taste tho).

Add options per taste;  pita chips or crumbled tortilla chips (we used fritos), hot sauce, sour cream, lime wedges, fresh avacado, shredded cheese, fresh cilantro.
YUMMY.
Freezes well too.

So there is my adventures with Pinterest for this round...tune in for the next set!!!



1 comment:

Cassie said...

Everything looks so darn good! We have a bunch of freezer meals as well. Twice baked potatoes are one of my favorites! After reading this, I think we will have some tomorrow for dinner :)