Monday, May 28, 2012

Amazing 9yr olds!!

I am so blessed to have such amazing 9yr olds.  When it comes right down to the nitty gritty and disappointing, they take it better than most adults and make me proud.
This was taken when they were 7yrs old

First, we as a whole family were supposed to go on a Disney Cruise this year with my family.  Yep, we should've been on the ship right now.  But we couldn't afford it and decided we better not go.  That was disappointment #1, when I had to let the children know that we weren't going, they of course were disappointed but handled it like Champs, all of them.

Then my mom and Jeriann decided that they could afford to take one of the kids and would pay for them.  My mom felt like Aaliyah did not get the visit to Disneyland that she should have gotten when they went last time and felt like she needed to make up for it.  So they paid for her ticket and everything was set.  As time came closer and closer to the cruise, Jairyn some how figured out that Aaliyah was going and he wasn't.  We were riding in the car one day and he flat out asked if she was going.  I told him that she was and he started to tear up a little.  I felt bad for him and let him know that the last time he went with Meema he was very homesick and so I thought it was better that he didn't go this time.  He swallowed his tears and said that he understood and that he thinks his dad has fun things planned for the summer so he should be ok.  Then he stuck his head out the window.  When he came back into the car, he announced, "There, now it is fair, I got to put my head out the window."  lol...I told him I was proud of him for how he was taking it.  He didn't say anything more to me about the cruise.  This was a few weeks ago.

Two days before the cruise we found out the scores of the FCAT tests the kids took in April.  Jairyn passed the test with 4's (out of 5) in both his reading and math.  Aaliyah did not pass as she received a 1 in reading and a 2 in math.  This would mean that she would not be allowed to move on to the 4th grade.  She was quite disappointed and sad, even fearful that I was disappointed in her and even mad at her.  I told her that I love her very much and that I know she tried her best so there is no way I was disappointed in her.  Sam went to talk to her teacher, Mrs. McLaren, to see if there was anything that could be done.  She has two more options and opportunities to move on to the 4th grade.  The first is to pass this portfolio that they have been working on for the past week and will continue to work on for the next week, meaning she wouldn't be able to miss any school and therefore would not be able to go on the cruise.  If she does not pass her portfolio, the last option is go to summer school, which is really not an option for her as she is going to WA to visit her mom for the summer.  So that left the Portfolio option and no cruise.  I was thankful that I had not yet let her know she was going. I quickly called the cruise line and found that it would only cost $50 to have the named changed over to Jairyn.

On Sunday we got up early to meet Mom, Jeriann, Shaun, Janie and the boys over at the Fairfield Inn by Orlando Airport.  I had previously packed Jairyn's bags and he had no idea, he still thought that Aaliyah was the one going on the cruise.  After we said our hello's and visited for a few minutes, Mom asked Jairyn if he would like to go on the cruise.  He proceeded to tell her that he and I talked about it and thought it would be better if he didn't go this time, he even started to tear a little, but kept a smile on his face. Mom said that isn't what she asked, she asked him again if he wanted to go on the cruise.  He told her that he did, but he doesn't have any clothes.  Mom looked at Janie and said, he should fit into some of Haidyn's clothes, shouldn't he?  Haidyn will be 3 the end of June, lol...Jairyn looked at both of them a little confused and a goofy grin on his face and said, "sure, ok..I'll wear Haidyn's clothes."  Then he got a big smile on his face and told how it would be his and Aaliyah's first time on a cruise.  How sweet, he still thought Aaliyah was going to get to go.  When he realized that she was not going to go, he gave her a hug, she tearing up and sad because it was learned for everyone that she did not pass the FCAT and would have to stay behind to go to school.  I felt so bad for her, if anything she really needed the vacation now.  She was/is such a trooper and of course handled it like a pro.  Jairyn was saying how he didn't have his bathing suit and hoped that Haidyn's would fit him, ha ha...I finally let him in on the secret that I packed his bag and he would have his own clothes to wear.  He is one happy little boy on a cruise ship right now.

As for Aaliyah she is the trooper I always knew she was and is doing her best to wait until it is her turn.  Meema mentioned to her maybe she would get to go to Hawaii with her one day.  That brought a smile to Aaliyah.  She is hating school at the moment, but we are praying she will do well on her portfolio...what ever happens, I know it will be the best for her.

Today, Aaliyah announced that she missed Jairyn!!  What a sweetie pie.  I don't know what the kids will do when they are all separated from each other for 2 months this summer.  Teighlor, Taiason, Jaemyn and Jairyn with their dad, Aaliyah with her mom and Tariyah and Aamerik here at home with me.

1 comment:

SHILLIG4FAMILY said...

What a story! Lucky kiddos.